Re: Ideal place to set environment variables

Greg Wooledge:

If there existed a single, universal, simple answer, don't you think we would have put it on the wiki page?

I think that login.conf is a step in the right direction, and I'm planning on making tools that support it. Or, rather, on making the tools that already support it on the BSDs also support it on Linux operating systems.

* http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?login.conf

* https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=login.conf

* https://man.openbsd.org/login.conf

* http://jdebp.eu./Softwares/nosh/guide/userenv-fromenv.html

I already use them to set the GUI environment from login.conf on TrueOS.

* https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/390089/5132