Re: Can't get an OpenGL context above 1.3 in Stretch

Am Samstag, 24. März 2018, 14:58:41 CET schrieb Daniel Keast:

Hi Daniel,

maybe I am wrong, but I believe, that the problem might be your hardware.

Some hardware is not capable on opengl2, only on opengl1. On my netbook I am using an Intel i945 graphics chip, which is only opengl1.0 capable.

However, I can use opengl2, as this is software based! In mesa-1.3 there was a software opengl2 solution, which is no more in higher versions. The developer decided to get rid of it, because it was too difficult to maintain it any more.

So I downgraded the following packages and theire dependencies to version 1.3:

libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa

After that, I set these three packages to hold by using aptitude:

aptitude hold libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa

so they are not updated automatically. For me, this solution is working very well, as I can still use opengl2 (I love the special effects in KDE, which need opengl2) and until today I got in no problems. Even games are running faster (also in wine).

Maybe this does help. It is a pity, that the software opengl2 is been gone in mesa, but that how are things change.

Best regards, happy hacking and good luck!

Hans