Re: domain names, was: hostname

On Fri 23 Mar 2018 at 20:13:10 (-0400), rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, March 23, 2018 06:49:49 PM Brian wrote:
> > On Fri 23 Mar 2018 at 22:22:45 +0000, Joe wrote:

> > > I'll see your smarthost and raise you a webmail... how many home users
> > > are using an email client at all?
> >
> > Webmail users also use their IPS's smarthost. They are included in "most".
>
> I don't follow, why do you say that?  Or maybe I don't know what an IPS is?
>
> My current ISP  is Earthlink--when I use my email client, it uses Earthlinks
> smarthost (I guess that's what it would be called).
>
> I don't use webmail often, but, if I do, let's say, use gmail from a web page
> (i.e., webmail), google handles sending it and receiving replies, right?
>
> Then I get to see them by viewing the gmail web page, right?

I think Brian was assuming that the webmail user was using the webmail
system provided by the ISP itself (rather than a third party's, like
Google's). Many ISPs provide such a webmail system. For users who
don't normally use them (because they use a smarthost at home), they
can be useful when they travel and have no access to that smarthost.
That's one of the reasons I use a hosting service, even though it's
on the "wrong" continent.

Cheers,
David.