Re: Federated, decentralised communication on the internet (was: domain names, was: hostname)

David Wright wrote:

> Sure, so in my case, I'd be forced to find out what my router's
> hostname is so that I can quote a hostname that will resolve to the
> address that I woud be posting on. Currently this appears to be
> ip70-179-161-106.fv.ks.cox.net

these are not valid SMTP domain names. It might be valid FQDN, but the
server on the other end is most likely to reject it.

> but it changes at random times governed by I know not what.
> But wait: to post from any of my machines, they all have to have
> ip70-179-161-106.fv.ks.cox.net in /etc/hosts so that exim uses it
> as the HELO string. This to an ISP that knows which wire I'm
> connected to at their end.

Best is to use dynamic DNS or DDNS service, but I am not sure if the free
versions support MX records (most probably not)

regards