[Lynx-dev] ANN: lynx2.8.9dev.17
Rather a few items in this new release.
On Thu, 22 Mar 2018, Thomas Dickey wrote:
The current version of lynx is 2.8.8
It's available at
2.8.9 Development & patches:
* modify samples/oldlynx.bat to check if Lynx recognizes the -lss option -TD
* modify samples/*lynx.bat to check for environment variables that Lynx would
test for temp-directory, and only if those are absent will the scripts
attempt to create a temp-directory -TD
* modify samples/*lynx.bat to set PATH for executing utility programs -TD
* remove unused critSec_DNS -TD
* use EnterCriticalSection in ws_netread rather than InitializeCriticalSection
since critSec_READ was initialized in LYMain.c (report by GV) -TD
* use freeaddrinfo() in one case where free() was used (report by GV) -TD
* implement "+" item type for gopher protocol (report by James Tomasino) -TD
* add checks in options-menu in case no color-styles have been defined -TD
* add Visual Studio project files for 2010, 2012 -TD
* improve checks for strings which should not be empty -TD
* check for empty personal-mail-address (report by TG) -TD
* modify samples/lynx-demo.cfg to use SOURCE_CACHE:memory -TD
* modify samples/*lynx.bat to use existing TEMP-directory if possible -TD
* modify windows installer to select directory containing SSL DLLs and copy
them into lynx's application directory -TD
* add oldlynx.bat sample script to windows installer -TD
* use default lynx.lss color scheme with samples/lynx.bat -TD
* modify windows installers to use static libraries for pdcurses and slang,
because the dll for the latter is much larger than the rest of lynx.
Even with this change, lynx.exe is 50% larger when using slang than with
* rename test-package for ".rpm" to "lynx-dev" for consistency with ".deb" -TD
* improve samples/lynx.bat by using location of script rather than current
directory ("Smuggler" firstname.lastname@example.org).
* permanently enable MISC_EXP feature -TD
* remove several obsolete ifdefs: DGUX, DGUX_OLD, HP_TERMINAL,
REVERSE_CLEAR_SCREEN_PROBLEM, SHORTENED_RBIND, SLANG_MBCS_HACK, SNAKE -TD
* improve logic in HTCopy used to limit reads based on content-length to
take into account server headers which extend past the first block read
(report/test-case by Dick Wesseling) -TD
* permanently enable EXP_HTTP_HEADERS feature -TD
* modify color-style hashing to check for collisions (reported by TG, Russell
* add PREFERRED_CONTENT_TYPE defaulting to text/plain and options-menu to
replace an assumption in HTMIMEConvert that everything is text/html.
Since most servers provide a valid Content-Type for HTML, and are more likely
to omit it for files lacking a known suffix, defaulting to text/plain is a
better choice -TD
* remove dead-code for OMIT_SCN_KEEPING -TD
* remove dead/unreachable pretty-source code in HTML.c, noticed because
it complicates hashing -TD
* improve hashing for anchors and styles by using a more suitable hash-table
* add a note in lynx.cfg telling how to remove a default key-mapping -TD
* modify "=" command to make it possible to disable margins for the URL string,
by first disabling wrapping using "|" -TD
* several fixes for Windows version -TH
+ fix an abnormal terminate when pressing 'd'(download) on no action button.
+ work around incompatibility in move() between POSIX and Windows.
+ fix limit-check for SJIS which prevented showing a show long title in the
title bar on Windows environment.
+ fix problem with PDCurses when wrapping lines.
ref: lynx-dev discussions "Subject: Wrapping line behavior"
+ fix resizing terminal problem with Windows + PDCurses.
This problem occurs only with some combinations of source and destination
For example: 80x25 -> 90x20
+ including some code clean up
* improve consistency in help-files discussing line-edit keymaps (prompted by
Debian #888391) -TD
* additional fixes to work with LibreSSL on OpenBSD 6.2 -TD
* build-fixes for OpenSSL 1.1.0 versus 1.0.0 (patch by Quentin Minster).
* modify configure script to make a quirk of NetBSD's make-program less
* modify configure script to work around pkgsrc's misconfiguration of shared
* modify po/makefile.inn to ensure the temporary files have distinct names
to avoid problem with "make -j8" (Debian #890811).
* update makefile/batch-scripts to allow building with newer Visual Studio
versions, e.g., 2010, 2012, so that a 64-bit executable can be built -TD
* repair link in lynx_help_main.html to HTML 3.2 documentation
* update eo.po, fr.po from
* improved several configure macros:
CF_BUILD_CC, CF_CC_ENV_FLAGS, CF_CURSES_FUNCS, CF_CURSES_LIBS,
* updated ftp-site url -TD
* update config.guess (2018-01-26), config.sub (2018-01-15)
Thomas E. Dickey <email@example.com>