Re: Federated, decentralised communication on the internet

On 03/21/2018 03:47 PM, Brian wrote:
On Wed 21 Mar 2018 at 12:05:53 -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:

On 3/21/18 11:48 AM, Charlie Gibbs wrote:

On 21/03/18 01:00 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

My problem with "social networks" is that they're monopolies. Imagine
popping down to the local pub for a pint and a bit of conversation, only
to find that it's part of a huge chain run by a transnational
conglomerate.  I much prefer the Usenet model, although web sites that
let you leave messages come pretty close. What I don't like are those
web sites that make you log in through Facebook in order to post.  Since
I don't have a Facebook account and never will, such sites will have to
do without my pearls of wisdom.  :-)

Maybe we should move back to USENET.  It worked pretty well, and it's still

Maybe we should just continue to talk about email in this thread. Keeps
it on-topic etc. Feel free to contribute to it.

POT vs KETTLE ?

For the record, very many OT sub-threads to threads I began have been *VALUABLE*.
One liners which are nominally ON-Topic, much less so ;/
YMMV