dd_help missing from stretch repos

My new 2TB HD just arrived. Old 1.5TB to be rescued, made in 2010, has 8 pending
sectors reported by smartctl. e2fsck locks up the PC trying to fix its EXT2
filesystem. I know if anything could bail me out, dd_rhelp could.

Debian bugs Google found about dd_rhelp:

I see gddrescue in the repos, but my experience with dd_rehelp is only
favorable. Can someone tell me how they compare, or even if they are comparable?
Do Debian users simply extract the script from the lastest archive version on
www.kalysto.org and run it?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/