Re: no audio

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 9:02 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry but there is no way on earth that all sound systems/devices are
> commonly supported. Get USB devices and they seem to work out of the box. No
> problem removing pulse until you need to easily switch outputs/inputs on the
> fly. Just for kicks, re-install pulse and see if it works now. Ric

I believe you, but it worked/works without AP. And I don't need
anything more than what SoX, Audacity, and alsa will do, so I'm a
happy camper.

And, BTW, when I put the RME Hammerfall card back in, alsa quit
working too. The problem was that alsamixer wouldn't save the card I
chose in alsamixer -- it insisted on the RME card. I found, on the
web, a file that defines a card to be alsa's default, and it worked.
Now the RME's no longer a viable choice, but I can edit the
set-default file if I want the RME. Until then, it'll use my mobo
sound chip. Looks like bent software, but there's a workaround.

I'm thinking this might have been the problem I was having with PA --
alsa wouldn't let me select what alsa wanted to use as the default, so
PA never got to it.

But whatever. It's making noise now...

--
Glenn English