Re: Problems with clean install of fvwm

On Fri 23 Feb 2018 at 16:56:19 +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 09:12:04AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
>

> > To clarify I got a console command line (Whole screen is one window
> > with no graphical ornaments !)
>
> Aha. As someone already said in this thread, it seems you have no
> X installed. Package xserver-xorg, I'd guess...

'apt install xorg' is better for most users (which includes the OP).

> > I tried issuing "startx" itself and received "command not found".

> Hm. This one is in package xinit, which is not a necessary part
> of X. So not a bad omen in itself.

xorg depends on xinit.

> > When I had initially done "apt-get install fvwm", should some
> > portion of the Xsystem been installed?
>
> Yes, I'd venture your X server is missing.

To answer the question as posed - no.

An xserver is a display device. It runs on the machine the user is
sat in front of. The program to be displayed (fvwm in this case) can
be located on any machine on the network, like the supercomputer a
few thousand miles away. The speed of display will be limited by the
network connection. Over dial-up, fvwm and xorg may as well be on the
same machine.

So, you are correct and helpful - but didn't (as you usually do) answer
the question. ;)

--
Brian.