Re: Is Debian Linux protected against the Meltdown and Spectre security flaws?

Hi,

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 16:52:12 +0100
Felipe Salvador <felipe.salvador@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)
> > CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection] aka 'Spectre Variant 2'
> > * Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (kernel confirms
> > that the mitigation is active)
> > * Mitigation 1
> >   * Kernel is compiled with IBRS/IBPB support:  NO
> >   * Currently enabled features
> >     * IBRS enabled for Kernel space:  NO
> >     * IBRS enabled for User space:  NO
> >     * IBPB enabled:  NO
> > * Mitigation 2
> >   * Kernel compiled with retpoline option:  YES
> >   * Kernel compiled with a retpoline-aware compiler:  YES  (kernel
> > reports full retpoline compilation)
> >   * Retpoline enabled:  NO
>       			  ^^
> I get the same result. I wonder why reptoline is disabled.

I asked myself the same question (same result here). Maybe the answer is
that it is a bug in the script? With the latest version from github the
respective part here now looks like:

CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection] aka 'Spectre Variant 2'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (kernel confirms that the mitigation is active)
* Mitigation 1
  * Kernel is compiled with IBRS/IBPB support:  NO
  * Currently enabled features
    * IBRS enabled for Kernel space:  NO
    * IBRS enabled for User space:  NO
    * IBPB enabled:  NO
* Mitigation 2
  * Kernel compiled with retpoline option:  YES
  * Kernel compiled with a retpoline-aware compiler:  YES  (kernel reports full retpoline compilation)
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Mitigation: Full AMD retpoline)

Regards

Michael

Death.  Destruction.  Disease.  Horror.  That's what war is all about.
That's what makes it a thing to be avoided.
		-- Kirk, "A Taste of Armageddon", stardate 3193.0