Re: Re: Is Debian Linux protected against the Meltdown and Spectre security flaws?

On 23 February 2018 at 14:08, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
        Hi.

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 01:47:25PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> On 23 February 2018 at 13:42, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >         Hi.

> > released ?

> > blocking

> > > ​Can it be true?  A version of gcc that runs on stretch that will compile
> > > the latest fancy spectre fixes etc?
> > >
> > > ​Cheers
> >
> > So it seems. New kernel came today with the usual 'apt update && apt
> > upgrade' routine:
> >
> > $ uname -r
> > 4.9.0-6-amd64
> >
> > $ grep bug /proc/cpuinfo
> > bugs            : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2
> >

> ​Could you install this kernel in stretch at present or only in buster?

I *only* use Debian stable, so yes, it's definitely possible to install
this kernel in stretch. This particular package is provided by
security.debian.org, so entire world is installing it on Debian stable
as I'm writing this.

​Excellent news. Stellar stuff.

Cheers

MF​

Theoretically, of course, it should be possible to install this kernel
in testing (buster) and even get a bootable system.

Reco