Re: problems with manual page usermod.8 and useradd.8

On 22 February 2018 at 21:12, MarkusHiereth <translation@hiereth.de> wrote:
Hello,

when updating the German translations of the shadow package, I
encountered strange things in the documentation. For example an option
--non-unique for the commands useradd and usermod. With the first, the
system administrator is able to force the system to create a new user
with an ID that already exists, which is related to another user.

One effect I would expect after using useradd with this option is that
files and directories are owned by two persons - as the UID of a file
indicates the owner.

Has anybody an idea about the purpose of such an option?

​Perhaps it was created for people suffering from multiple personality disorder.

Who knows

Cheers

MF​

>From my point of view it is necessary that the respective manual pages
explain why one might use such an option and / or warn what a mess
might be created with it.

On the debian IRC channel, one comment on this problem was, Linux is a
friendly operating system. It will not prevent users from shooting
themselves in the foot.

Please cc your posts to my mail addresse as I am not a subscriber of
this list.

Best regards
Markus