Re: Need help debugging total system lockup, probably notebook power saving related

Hi Henning,
thanks for the tip.

However, I've been experiencing this issue already before the spectre/meltdown bunch hit the fan.
It does sound like it a bit, but likely is some different HW stuff.
For now I'm experimenting with i915.enable_rc6=0. I hope it won't bog down the battery run-time too much.

Ondrej G.

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 3:55 PM, Henning Follmann <hfollmann@itcfollmann.com> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 09:51:58AM +0100, Ondřej Grover wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need help debugging random total system lock-ups.
> This is a notebook Acer Aspire V3-572G-78A running Debian Stretch with
> the 4.9.0-5-amd64 kernel.
>
> When running on battery (does not happen on AC power), usually after
> resuming from RAM, after some rather random time (can be a few minutes to
> hours) the system suddenly locks up, the screen freezes, keyboard and the
> click-pad don't react, sound keeps playing a ~2 second loop. The computer
> does not react to magic SysRq combos (probably because the keyboard doesn't
> react), or to pressing the power key. I cannot ping it nor ssh into it. The
> notebook appears to stay in this state indefinitely (the screen does not
> blank). Only a ~10-sec power-key hold or removing the battery does a hard
> reset.
>
> I believe this is a kernel-level lock-up in some hardware driver.
> Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out which one, because the log
> files (tried both syslog and journald) contain nothing out of the ordinary
> just before the lock-up. Probably the IO locks-up as well.
>
> Netconsole isn't really an easy option, because I cannot reliably reproduce
> this in a suitable controlled environment, which is further complicated by
> the lack of polling support (required for netconsole) on the wireless
> interface.
>
> My suspects:
> - The integrated Intel graphics card with the i915 driver: always had
> issues with it (on linux-3.16 it used to crash/hang a lot), maybe the gpu
> hangs are not properly detected anymore.
> - The hard disk sometimes loses APM levels after suspend (have to use
> pm_async == 0 to prevent errors after each suspend). Maybe this points to a
> larger suspend/power-mgmt issue.
> - My iwlwifi interface sometimes crashes and only removing it from the PCI
> bus and rescanning for it helps. But this procedure does not hang the whole
> system.
>
> Any help, suggestions, pointers will be appreciated.

Hello,
I do have some power management issues with 4.9.0-5-amd64. My issues seem
different than yours ( I cannot boot up with power plugged in) but it is
also a hard stop, no logs available. I really haven't figured out the exact
cause however in my case they seem related to the spectre/meltdown fix in
the newest kernel.
You can switch that off by adding pti=off to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub and running update-grub.

It is no ideal solution, but maybe it helps narrowing down the issue.

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com