Re: Multiple independent terminals on a single machinde

On 02/17/18 11:32, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 02/17/2018 01:19 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 02/17/18 04:46, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 02/17/2018 01:57 AM, deloptes wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:

Therefore I'll change my metaphor.
It is routine for one machine to support multiple independent terminals. Logically one expect that those terminals could appear on the host device.

How might this be done?

Hi,
first you write you want to have independent terminals on your machine and
then you complain that the workspaces share same background icon.
Can you clarify what you want to achieve.

If you want to configure your workspaces differently and want to use light weight desktop you could try TDE which is continuation of KDE3. There you
can configure the background per workspace.

Asking on a local users group led to
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiseat_configuration>
which describes what triggered my thoughts.
It links to  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System>
which outlines what has to happen behind the scenes to have the
user experience I want.

In a related post here, Curt referred me to KDE's "activities"

<https://www.datamation.com/open-source/how-to-setup-kde-activities.html>
which links to

<https://www.datamation.com/open-source/how-to-setup-kde-activities.html>,

<https://www.datamation.com/open-source/what-makes-a-classic-linux-desktop-classic-1.html>, and
   <https://www.maketecheasier.com/use-kde-plasma-activities/>

I've reading to do.
Thank you.

Perhaps the Linux Terminal Server Project is what you seek (?):

http://ltsp.org/

I don't think so.
ALTHOUGH visualizing such a setup influenced how I phrased things.
The key difference for my use everything is in a single laptop.
Thanks.

Other ideas include:

1. Create additional user accounts and use different and/or customized desktop environments on each.

2. Install a hypervisor (e.g. VirtualBox, KVM, Xen, VMware, etc.) and run one or more virtual machines, each different and/or customized.

David