troubleshooting Kmail

Ernst,

Things that come to mind...
The way IMAP works is e-mail is delivered to the mail server (google/gmail, is
what I think you said). Your client (kmail, thunderbird, etc) reads an email
message from the server. Then, depending on configuration, the message is saved
or deleted?  So, check your configuration to be sure that the IMAP server  is
configured to leave mail on the server after being read.
Also, have you checked that the version of kmail is the same on both
computers?

Mark

Have you ckecked the version of each instance of kmail?

Mark,
   Thanks much for your reply. I apologize for breaking the threading, but I
don't think i succeeded at getting things right when replying to the mailing
list via the web archive.

  I've always been careful to configure my IMAP client(s) to leave messages on
the server, but to be sure,  I have verified (via the gmail web interface) that
no client is removing messages from the server for this account. It's really
strange because up until Jan 30th incoming mail was still arriving at the
problematic Kmail client (and I still have access to messages on or prior to
that date in that client).

  I was pretty sure that both versions are identical (as I'm running vanilla
stretch on both machines) but to be sure I've just verified that fact (5.2.3 in
both cases).