Re: [likely out of luck]

Hi,

Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm getting the impression that:
>  1. a window manager can manage several desktops.
>  2. each desktop may or may not have an associated desktop environment.

Be careful with the term "desktop". It is used in several differing
meanings. From "screenful of stuff" to "highly integrated and complete GUI".

>   2. all could be different configurations of MATE such that
>     a. one desktop would only have program icons for creating
>        documents.
>     b. one would only have program icons for doing matrix algebra.
>     c. one would only have program icons for web browsing and email.

It seems you are looking for non-sticky icons.
I'm not sure whether i could talk fvwm2 into doing that.

Maybe you should look for some GUI construction set by which you can build
simple GUI programs which offer buttons to start the desired programs
like icons would do.
Each screen would get its own such program. Non-sticky, of course.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas