Re: failed to set console font and keymap

On Friday 16 February 2018 11:17:22 Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:

> On 2/16/18, Cindy-Sue Causey <butterflybytes@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/16/18, Anil Duggirala <anilduggirala@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> >> All I did was change "us" for "gb" in my /etc/default/keyboard
> >> file. I am now getting a "failed to set console font and keymap"
> >> message at bootup. The default keymap appears to have been changed,
> >> and everything works well otherwise.
> >> please help.
> >
> > Is this a place where "dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration"
> > might come into play? I only know that one because of
> > debootstrap..... :)
>
> I'm sorry, computer mouse must have stuck or double clicked again.
> It's just plum worn out. Will try to remember to tab over to the Send
> button if I send anything else....

That is a classic mouse problem Cindy, one that I've had to repair at the
tv station quite a few times. What happens is that the switch under the
button was not seated in the pcb as it went thru the wave solder when it
was originally made. So the switch may be sitting just a bit proud of
the board. This leaves the solder joint at the only restriction of the
switches movement. Eventually this breaks the bond between the copper
foil of the pcb, and of course the foil then cracks at the edge of the
blob of solder.

The cure is to take it apart, press the switches solidly to the board and
put a teeny drop of cyanide glue into that contact to help immobilize
the switch.  Give the glue time to work, an hour perhaps, then turn it
over. Remove most of the solder on the switch legs, then scrape the
green solder resist away from the now visible crack in the trace, form a
short piece of stripped wrapping wire around the switch leg, extending
out a bit past the crack, and resolder it, a solder with 2 or 3% silver
is much tougher stuff, making sure to get the little bridging
wire "wet". Put it back together and Voila! Brand new mouse again.

You may run with duct tape (I chuckle ever time I read your sig), but I
am a C.E.T. and can walk with a hot soldering iron. But mine isn't a $20
toy, its a $100+ workstation that can even do hot air soldering.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)