Re: hostname

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 01:44:16PM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> "bolakim53" appears to have sent two copies of this to me, and zero
> copies to the list.  Forwarding:
>
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 06:25:19PM -0000, bolakim53@mail2tor.com wrote:
> >  hostname_solved
> >
> > to      : Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org>
> > ref     : debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > subject : hostname
> >
> > hello,
> >
> > 	1° a hostname is not broadcast in linux-world.
> > 	2° debian is the default hostname, yes i confirm.
> > 	3° a hostname does not identify the user but a machine
> > 	4° a hostname is need for fixing a problem and knowing "where i am ".
> > 	5° a hostname is not about anonymity.
> > 	6° a hostname is not used for "targeting" an user.
> > 	7° a 'hostnamechanger' could not improve the anonymity of the user.
> >
> > Counter-question: i care because a lot of details are not explained in the
> > doc, forum, handbook. wiki etc.

The details are explained. It's the concepts that you are
missing. The concepts are the same across operating systems: DNS
is the same for Linux, MacOS, Windows, HP/UX, and MS-DOS running
the Crynwr packet drivers or KA9Qnos.

> >  I suppose that a desktop PC/workstation needs an experienced user and a
> > lot of skills which understanding clearly the way local area work. It
> > must be interesting if you are on a lan, admin several machines, set a
> > server, share a connection, manage database ...

Yes, we call that job a systems administrator (sysadmin).

> > 	 * why to be discreet (security) is understood as an illegal activity ?
> > 	 * why hiding (privacy) is understood as a conspiracy or a shame ?

The mutual non-comprehension became suspicion. A hostname is a
machine identifier that can be translated into an IP address,
for the purposes of routing data to your computer. Since many
people may use the same computer, a hostname is not usually
considered to be a security hazard.

Security and privacy are related, but different.

-dsr-