Re: strace (brk) output - how to interpret this?

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018, Kamil Jońca wrote:
> Recently I have to debug some program and got one line

> execve("..something...")
> brk(NULL)                               = 0x5564a8662000
> surprised me
> I understand that brk (NULL) is called to get current break value but
> return value is far too high for me. Can anybody explain this?

That's actually about right for brk(), given an amd64 architecture.

You can actually cat /proc/$pid/maps; if you want to know what is really
going on there.

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

This can't be happening to me. I've got tenure.
 -- James Hynes _Publish and Perish_