Re: Atypical mod to icons used to launch programs.

Would there be a text based editor for svg?

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 6:46 PM, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
On Wed 14 Feb 2018 at 14:40:09 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 02/14/2018 01:56 PM, David Christensen wrote:
> >On 02/14/18 10:57, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >>I use Stretch with MATE as desktop.
> >>My current icons are from /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48 .
> >>I have multiple configurations of some programs installed.
> >>
> >>I would like to use icons that are semantically related.
> >>I would like to use custom icons that are 48 high X 96 wide.
> >>These would be created joining two 48x48 icons side by side.
> >>
> >>Would the MATE panel &/or desktop accept these?
> >>Assuming it would, is there a simple graphic program that would
> >>accept to identically formatted images and place them side by
> >>side in a new image?
> >>If MATE cannot accept rectangular rather than square icons, I
> >>suspect I can create an app that can (I think I've seen Tcl/Tk
> >>that could be adapted).
> >
> >I don't know what icons MATE will accept.
> >

> >As for making icons, the defacto OSS graphics editor is GIMP:
> >
> >https://www.gimp.org/
> >

> >Or, if you want a CLI app and/ or a library that you can call from
> >your favorite programming/ scripting language to exactly what you
> >want:
> >
> >https://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php
> >

> Thanks for trying. I had already downloaded both.

Good, you're almost there.

> The are *TOO* powerful to be useful.

Nonsense.

> Using text processing as an analogy, I wish to concatenate two 10
> character strings to obtain a single 20 character string.

There's no comparison unless the images are just raw scans.
Even then, concatenation will only succeed if the scans have the
appropriate orientation.

> LaTeX could likely do that. But it's not appropriate.

Bad choice, LaTeX. Emacs would be a better analogy.

Anyway, what you want is
convert thing1 thing2 +append output-thing

Cheers,
David.