Re: libgparted bug.

On Sun 11 Feb 2018 at 00:01:26 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 10 February 2018 23:34:12 David Wright wrote:

This line is very lonely, having been torn from its referent.

> > > I didn't think it did, until htop caught it running yesterday.

> > > /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf.  And it has exactly the switch I was
> > > looking for. So ATM its turned off. But damn! I just now plugged in
> > > the cell phone and the icon popped up in about a second. But I guess
> > > thats because I didn't block it for sdf.
> >
> > Odd, that, because the README for usbmount says:
> >
> >  USBmount is intended as a lightweight solution which is independent
> > of a desktop environment. Users which would like an icon to appear
> > when an USB device is plugged in should use other alternatives.
> >
> I don't believe usbmount did this one, 60-persistent-storage.rule I think
> did this one as I only kill sdd, and the phone, if the card reader (sdd)
> is plugged in would have made the phone be sdf.
>
> Just so we're on the same page, David. :)

Well I'd be interested to know which line in 60-persistent-storage.rules
does anything much, other than juggle with names etc in its realm: /dev.
I think it's more likely that some other subsystem is watching out for
what udev does, and then acting on the information that it returns.
There's also the possibility that something has inserted a >60 rule
(99?) into /{etc,lib}/udev/. Otherwise, look to your DE configuration.

The problem with your messing about in udev's rules is that you don't
know what other subsystems are relying on its efficacy.

Cheers,
David.