Re: libgparted bug.

On Sat 10 Feb 2018 at 16:09:00 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Saturday 10 February 2018 15:27:09 David Wright wrote:

> > > For something as potentially obnoxious as that, an easily thrown
> > > switch to enable/disable it. It is NOT in /etc/init.d.
> >
> > What isn't in /etc/init.d? What do you expect to be in /etc/init.d?
>
> usbmount.  I expected to find a starter script with a recognizable name.

Your expectations on where usbmount puts its files are completely and
utterly unfounded.

> > Why?
>
> Why not? At least that would give this hacker a target to throw a hatchet
> at.

David Wright meant - why did you expect usbmount (which you have
determined is not on your machine) to put a file in /etc/init.d?

> > > No such critter on this wheezy box.
> >
> > So how do you explain the above? This is getting silly.
>
> Silly? Not in the least. At least I don't often equate silly with
> frustrating. Something is starting this "usbmount" thingy, and its not
> me.

This is the "usbmount" thingy critter which is absent from your box?

> sudo grep -R usbmount /etc/*
> has been peeking under the covers in etc for around 5 minutes now, no
> hits.

Not surprising if it doesn't exist.

> So in this admittedly corner case, the thing needs an on/off switch so
> gparted CAN do its thing without fighting with what somebody no doubt
> thought was one of their better brainstorms. Its turned what should be a
> simple operation on working 64GiB  disk, whose last data is just past
> 4GiB, and I want to then make another image file that only includes the
> used area of the disk, into a major PAIN IN THE ASS. This is how
> raspbian and ayufan prepare the images they release, so why the hell
> can't I do it too?
>
> Grep finally found it, and it does have a switch, so for now its turned
> off on this machine. Hopefully that will also stop the cell phone icons
> from showing up when I plug it in for charging.

Where did it find it?

Looking for hairs on the palms of your hands sounds a more useful
exercise than the one you have undertaken. Bet you find those too. :)

--
Brian.