Re: libgparted bug.

On Saturday 10 February 2018 10:53:25 Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> and again a miscalculation by differing block sizes.
>
> The adventurous proposal would be useless because working somewhere
> in the still undamaged part of the image file.
> skip= and seek= must be the numbers for blocks of 512 bytes rather
> than of 64 KiB.
>
> So this proposal should have been
>
>   dd if=/dev/sdd bs=512 skip=16500703 count=66 \
>      of=rock-img-shrunk.img seek=16500703

Which was an instant return claiming 66 blocks had been copied.

gdisk is still fussing.
gene@coyote:~/rock64.imgs$ gdisk -l rock-img-shrunk.img
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.5

Warning! Disk size is smaller than the main header indicates! Loading
secondary header from the last sector of the disk! You should use 'v' to
verify disk integrity, and perhaps options on the experts' menu to repair
the disk.
Caution: invalid backup GPT header, but valid main header; regenerating
backup header from main header.

Warning! Error 25 reading partition table for CRC check!
Warning! One or more CRCs don't match. You should repair the disk!

Partition table scan:
  MBR: protective
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: damaged

Caution: Found protective or hybrid MBR and corrupt GPT. Using GPT, but
disk
verification and recovery are STRONGLY recommended.
Disk rock-img-shrunk.img: 16500769 sectors, 7.9 GiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): 1C7D4C86-35A6-4E6A-B3E3-2A6BEB44FDD0
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 125171678
Partitions will be aligned on 64-sector boundaries
Total free space is 108670973 sectors (51.8 GiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1              64            8063   3.9 MiB     8300  loader1
   2            8064            8191   64.0 KiB    8300  reserved1
   3            8192           16383   4.0 MiB     8300  reserved2
   4           16384           24575   4.0 MiB     8300  loader2
   5           24576           32767   4.0 MiB     8300  atf
   6           32768          262143   112.0 MiB   0700  boot
   7          262144        16500735   7.7 GiB     8300  root
gene@coyote:~/rock64.imgs$
> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

All three of these cards will boot the rock64, but two snags.

1. at around 7 to 10 seconds into the boot, after having discovered the
spinning rust drive plugged into the usb-3 port, everything stops for 90
seconds, and it been doing this for quit a while. I assume its doing a
silent e2fsck. Then after some more blather,

2. it reports the root account is locked and that I should press enter.
Nothing else seems to happen until I press enter, at which point it
starts xfce into what looks like a normal gui. And it appears everything
except synaptic works from the menu's. And to get synaptic to run on
stretch is different from jessie, whereas on wheezy its a simple
synaptic-pkexec, from any login on my net, put in the passwd for myself
and bob's your uncle. Somebodies paranoia is excessive IMNSHO.

Oh, and 3. it did not autoresize part7 during the boot, so I am assuming
a need to touch a file to make that happen again.
So now I have 3 cards that will all boot and run.

Now I have to learn how to do a manual make install, probably with mc
since this is a "u-boot" booter.  No grub , no lilo.

I wonder who that expert might be?

Many Thanks, Thomas Schmitt.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett