Re: a hexeditor please

On Friday 09 February 2018 10:53:58 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 10:36:10AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > Trying to scan thru an 8Gb file dd has made of an sd card, I find
> > khexedits lack of a scroll bar to be a huge hindrance.
> >
> > Do we have one of those critters that will let me scan thru a file
> > that big looking for data besides 00 00, and will do it yet this
> > year?
> >
> > Story so far:
>
> [...]
>
> You sure you want an *editor*, as in "you plan on edit things"?
>
> If not, hexdump -C is your friend (it will abbreviate reams of
> zeros and other repeated stuff by default). From hexdump's fine
> manual:
>
>   The options are as follows:
>   [...]
>   -v  Cause hexdump to display all input data.  Without
>       the -v option, any number of groups of output lines,
>       which would be identical to the immediately preceding
>       group of output lines (except for the input offsets),
>       are replaced with a line comprised of a single asterisk.
>
> Cheers
> -- t

Thanks, it is working fine, but even at 7*10ee33 fenceposts a minute,
will take it a while to get to end end of the files data.  That will be
at offset about e0000000 I think. Maybe a bit more, but the first gig
sure isn't blank. I am thinking the file is probably good. And despite
adding that skip me rule to udev, the source card is being shown as
mounted on my tde gui.

So how the hell do we stop udev from automounting it?

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)