Re: policy around 'wontfix' bug tag

On 05/02/18 01:13, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Richard Hector wrote:
>> #389251 (coreutils: date's -d switch doesn't honour locale) - it's quite
>> an old one. But I found another instance in which the same claim applies:
>
> Its age makes it hard to conclude nowadays' habits with newly submitted bugs.
>
> The topic looks as promising for Debian bug report success as would be
> a report about the Linux kernel. I.e. nearly zero.
>
> Upstream looks like the problem is known and no fix can be expected soon:
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/Options-for-date.html
>   "
>   ‘-d datestr’
>   ‘--date=datestr’
>      Display the date and time specified in datestr instead of the current
>      date and time. datestr can be in almost any common format.
>      [...]
>      Note: input currently must be in locale independent format.
>      E.g., the LC_TIME=C below is needed to print back the correct date in
>      many locales:
>        date -d "$(LC_TIME=C date)"
>      See Date input formats.
>      [ https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/Date-input-formats.html ]
>   "
>
> The google results of "locale input" and "linux locale input" make me
> think that there is no general input support with our locales.
> Maybe some particular programs take the environment variable settings
> as hint for own input interpreters. But in general our localization seems
> to be restricted to output texts.
>
> Adding to the bug report a link to above upstream documentation would
> have been a friendly gesture to the bug reporter.
> The bug was not closed, though. So "wontfix" does not mean "rejected"
> or "invalid", but rather expresses the realistic expectation of the sender.

Thanks Thomas - you can always be counted on to provide calm, rational
input :-)

Incidentally, the gnu 'Date input formats' link above does talk about
only accepting English names for days and months, but doesn't say
anything about the ordering of day and month (except, under 'General
date syntax', saying that 'Order of the items is immaterial' ...)

Cheers,
Richard