Re: Kernel for Spectre and Meltdown

On 3 February 2018 at 17:24, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
On Sat 03 Feb 2018 at 10:37:34 (-0500), Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> On 2/3/18, rhkramer@gmail.com <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> ​Do you mean that new users on average want to install testing etc rather
> >> than stable?​
> >
> > I shouldn't profess to speak for someone else, but I think he meant just the
> >
> > opposite.  (I guess, to be fair, it could be read either way, but the
> > context
> > or something makes me favor my interpretation.)
>

> I missed this the first go-round. My interpretation of Andy's
> observation is that something cognitive about how certain pages read
> *might* accidentally point new users toward.. unstable and/or testing?

It seems people need help in parsing that sentence. Because we're all
computer-literate here, let's add gloss [] and some brackets {}:

    Debian already has a place to test the latest and
    greatest (and most broken) versions of packages
        [experimental/rc-buggy,]
    and it
        [this aforementioned place]
    is not the { stable release that new users are directed at }.

​Thanks for posting this.  It is helping me to better understand this bit of Andy's post.

I think Andy wrote a good summary, and it's a pity if people,
accidentally or otherwise, dismiss it because they parse the last
sentence strangely.

​I don't think we are trying to dismiss it, we just didn't understand what he had actually said.
But you have helped here.

Cheers

MF​

Cheers,