Re: How to rebuild a Debian package for a foreign architecture?

On 2018-01-26 09:47:58 +0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2018-01-25, Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> wrote:

> >> I'm much less so, but I've heard people recommending pbuilder for
> >> this (chroot).
> >>
> >>  pbuilder --create --architecture i386
> >>  pbuilder --build mypackage.dsc
> >
> > IMHO, this is overkill, at least in my case. And I don't like to
> > require root just to build a package.
>
> Apparently you need root to satisfy the build *dependencies* (which
> means you need to be root to install a package--but we new that
> already).

When I want to build a package for the native architecture, I don't
need to be root. If there are missing build dependencies, then the
missing packages are listed, so that I can install them as root,
then I can retry the package build as a normal user. So, the only
things I do as root is to install packages. The build is entirely
done as a normal user.

> However
>
>  ...most packages do not need root privilege to build, or even
>  refused to build when they are built as root. pbuilder can create a user
>  which is only used inside pbuilder and use that user id when building,
>  and use the fakeroot command when root privilege is required.
>
> https://pbuilder.alioth.debian.org/#nonrootchroot

Or perhaps I can try pbuilder-user-mode-linux.

The issue is that all this will require a major rewrite of my
scripts...