Re: The TP-Link TL-WN722N USB WiFi adapter ...

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018, Roger Price wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2018, Curt wrote:
>
> > Looking briefly I saw this bug:
> > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=842422
> >
> > ... or kernel parameter net.ifnames=0
>
> I had the same problem with the same WiFi adapter.  Setting kernel parameter
> net.ifnames=0 solved the problem for me.  Thanks, Roger

The reason I don't like this solution (net.ifnames=0) is I *think* it
might disable all of the mac randomization features of networkmanager.
Since it is a nice new feature when it works, I'd like to use it if
possible.  I'm not really worried about security in my situation but I
like to tweak around.

I found that some devices just hate it if you try to assign a truly random
MAC, for instance on Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY, it wants to keep
the 78: part of the address, anything else following that seems to be fine.

#/mnt/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-b43-rand.conf
[device]
match-device=mac:78:YO:UR:DE:VM:AC
#match-device=interface-name:wlan0
#wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=0
wifi.scan-generate-mac-address-mask=FE:00:00:00:00:00

[connection-wifi-b43]
#[connection-wifi-wlan0]
match-device=mac:78:YO:UR:DE:VM:AC
#match-device=interface-name:wlan0
wifi.cloned-mac-address=random
wifi.generate-mac-address-mask=FE:00:00:00:00:00

Still working on a similar solution for reatltek, no success.  I don't
have either of the devices mentioned, but an approach like this might be
worth exploring.

L8r,
bw