Re: Packages web page, was Re: Aptitude package manager "package"

On 2018-01-24, <tomas@tuxteam.de> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

>> > [1] https://packages.debian.org/
>> > [2] https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=aptitude&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
>>
>> Hm. I had occasion to go to ¹ yesterday. (In passing, if I remove the
>> word "index", I end up at a different page ² but the results are the
>> same.) With the defaults (package names/stetch/any) I typed syslog.
>
> [...]
>
>> OK, so syslog-ng seems to have more heads than a hydra, but what was
>> more concerning was that there was no mention of rsyslog (which was
>> what I was really interested in).
>
> Not a real solution, but a trick would be to choose "source packages";
> this cuts down a few of the hydra's heads, and rsyslog shows then up.
> Given that a source package gives birth to three binary packages (or
> sometimes many more), some amount of combinatorial explosion is not
> surprising.

I ticked 'Descriptions' (for 'stable', 'any') which searches package
names and descriptions, and the keyword 'syslog' returned 101 matching
packages, of which rsyslog was one.

I'm not sure that demonstrates anything of any utility, though.

The page informed me of the following concerning the results:

 Note that this only shows the best matches, sorted by relevance. If the
 first few packages don't match what you searched for, try using more
 keywords or alternative keywords.

--
“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class
is running the country.” – Kurt Vonnegut