Re: Question on CVE-2017-5754 on Debian 8.9

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 05:02:39PM -0600, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
So my question becomes: Is it just my server, or others too? And why me?

dmesg reads a ring buffer; there are a limited number of entries, after which the oldest lines are dropped to make room for newer lines. Relying on dmesg is bad in general for this reason. If you were to reboot and run the script immediately (before many new lines are added to dmesg) it will likely work. Unless you took specific steps to disable kpti on a kernel that supports it, it will be on. You can also look for "Kernel/User page tables isolation: enabled" in syslog or the journal (journalctl -b | grep isolation) which will typically retain logs for longer than the dmesg buffer.

Mike Stone