Re: PDF displayed incorrectly by certain software

On 23/01/18 13:28, Greg Marks wrote:
> I have encountered a peculiar situation where a PDF file displays as
> gibberish with certain PDF viewers but displays correctly with others.
> The PDF file in question can be downloaded from the site:
>
>    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11856-017-1616-6
>
> however, you might need an institutional subscription to view the full
> document, so I am temporarily posting a copy here:
>
>    https://gmarks.org/cklppaper.pdf
>
> The file displays correctly using any of these programs: evince
> (version 3.22.1), zathura (version 0.3.7), acroread (version 9.5.5),
> mupdf (version 1.9a), xournal (version 0.4.8), gv (version 3.7.4).
> As you can perhaps confirm, the file does not display correctly--one
> sees only scattered mathematical symbols throughout the pages--if it is
> opened with any of the following programs: qpdfview (version 0.4.14),
> xpdf (version 3.04), okular (version 0.26.1).  For example, here are
> screenshots of what the third page of the PDF file looks like on my
> machine as displayed in qpdfview and mupdf, respectively:
>
>    https://gmarks.org/q03.png
>    https://gmarks.org/m03.png
>
> The file prints correctly to a Postscript printer using lpr from the
> command line.

FWIW:
1) it also displays ok in atril
2) The 'scattered mathematical symbols' appear to me to be in the right
places - ie it's just that they're the only bit that displays correctly.
Perhaps some kind of missing font issue?
3) the stderr out from (at least) okular and xpdf look like they might
be useful to someone who understands the topic better, but do look like
something is missing.

Richard