Re: Network setup by installer

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 02:33:23PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 19 Jan 2018 at 22:10:39 +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 06:43:10AM +0100, john doe wrote:
> > >

> > So, I return to the essential question, which I led with in my original
> > post, which is which method does the installer use to set up networking,
> > and where can I find documentation on that so I can replicate it for my
> > wireless connection?
>
> The installer uses the netcfg udeb to configure networking; the files in
> the package are the documentation (AFAIK). For a wired connection netcfg
> produces a file /etc/network/interfaces for use with the installer which
> is something like
>
>  allow-hotplug enp0s25
>  iface enp0s25 inet dhcp
>
> This file is transferred to the new system (mounted on /target) just
> before d-i finishes and booting into the new system takes place.
>
> If you had chosen to install over a wifi connection, interfaces would
> have looked like this:
>
>  allow-hotplug wlx0060b3f580c4
>  iface wlx0060b3f580c4 inet dhcp
>        wpa-ssid <access_point>
>        wpa-psk  <secret>
>
> I would preseed the installer to replace the interfaces file it puts on
> /target with this file. Any firmware for the wireless adaptor would also
> have to be transferred to /target/lib/firmware too.
>
> A fly in the ointment is the desktop you install (if any). If it brings
> in network-manager (MATE does) there is a possibility that there is no
> network at first boot.

Thank you Brian -- this is exactly the information I was after. Much
appreciated, once again!

To get out of the situation I'm in on those two machines, I just need to
hand-craft the interfaces file to something like what you have above,
with appropriate device, ssid and WPA password values substituted. For
these PARTICULAR systems, firmware doesn't seem to be a problem.

Thanks

Mark