Re: Banishing UUIDs from grub

Michael Stone composed on 2018-01-19 08:57 (UTC-0500):
> It's  also possible to use filesystem labels, but in practice it turned out
> to be not uncommon for two different systems to have something like "root",
> which caused a lot of trouble when you put a drive from one system into
> another system. You could give the labels unique random names, but then
> you've (re)invented the UUID.

I create non-random labels with a bit more complexity, e.g.:

	p01jessie
	p02home
	p05usrlcl
	p06stretch
	p07buster

More complexity, though still human manageable, would be including a few of the
last characters of the physical device's serial number and/or model number, or
all or a portion of the hostname:

	st5p08debsid-Z1W

If you assign a label to a swap partition, then mount swap by label, it can be a
little easier to deal with the installer's proclivity to reformat swap when a
new installation is added.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/