Re: mismatch 9.0-live & 9.3

Hi,

nalyzur@airmail.nz reported with one of the checksum file pairs:

> > $ gpg --verify SHA512SUMS.sign SHA512SUMS
> > gpg: BAD signature from "Debian CD signing key <debian-cd@lists.debian.org>" [unknown]

The good ones were MD5SUMS, SHA1SUMS, and SHA256SUMS.

> Just the "[unknown]" after <debian-cd@lists.debian.org>?

This seems to be a statement by younger gpg versions. I see this on my
Sid VM.

> Isn't the crucial line "Good signature from "Debian CD signing key"

Yes. Plus the long
  Primary key fingerprint: DF9B 9C49 EAA9 2984 3258  9D76 DA87 E80D 6294 BE9B
which should be in the list at
  https://www.debian.org/CD/verify

If it says "Good" but with a fingerprint that is not in the list, then
the suspicion of spoofing would be justified.
(A while ago i read about a spoof which pretended to have a key signed
 by a list of GNU/Linux celebrities. The attacker managed to obtain own
 keys with the same short 32-bit fingerprints as the alleged signers.)

In general i perceive PGP signing as hard to really fake but quite easy to
spoof. Too many confusing details are given and too much doubt remains with
really good signatures.
But it's the best authentication we have for now.

Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Both bitmessage.de and airmail.nz are actually just
> aliases for elude.in, and the message style of the two mails is very
> similar. I'm fairly confident it's the same person.

Spoofing is everywhere.

> If so, it's rather annoying when you try to help somebody with a
> problem *they're* having and they ignore you.

Some users are not helpful to themselves. Some are just caught
in their own view of the problem and do not accept any idea of a
different explanation.

> I'd like to understand how things are breaking here.

If it's not PEBKAC, then maybe some transport problem.
Thus my question about the MD5s of the checksum files.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas