Re: Fwd: Bug Report

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 11:31:02PM -0500, James Vibber wrote:
  ---------- Forwarded message ----------
  From: "James Vibber" <[1]jvibber62@gmail.com>
  Date: Jan 15, 2018 10:54 PM
  Subject: Bug Report
  To: <[2]debian@gmail.com>

  WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
  This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
    apt libapt-pkg4.12 (due to apt) libc6 (due to apt) libgcc1 (due to apt) libstdc++6 (due to apt) gnupg (due to apt)
  base-passwd libdebconfclient0 (due to base-passwd) bash debianutils (due to bash) dash (due to
    bash) libncurses5 (due to bash) libtinfo5 (due to bash) bsdutils libsystemd0 (due to bsdutils) coreutils libacl1 (due to
  coreutils) libattr1 (due to coreutils) libselinux1 (due to coreutils) dpkg (due to dash)
    diffutils libbz2-1.0 (due to dpkg) liblzma5 (due to dpkg) zlib1g (due to dpkg) tar (due to dpkg) e2fsprogs e2fslibs (due
  to e2fsprogs) libblkid1 (due to e2fsprogs) libcomerr2 (due to e2fsprogs) libss2 (due to
    e2fsprogs) libuuid1 (due to e2fsprogs) util-linux (due to e2fsprogs) findutils grep libpcre3 (due to grep) gzip hostname
  init systemd-sysv (due to init) init-system-helpers perl-base (due to
    init-system-helpers) libc-bin login libaudit1 (due to login) libpam0g (due to login) libpam-runtime (due to login)
  libpam-modules (due to login) mount libmount1 (due to mount) libsmartcols1 (due to mount)
    ncurses-bin sed sysvinit-utils startpar (due to sysvinit-utils) initscripts (due to util-linux) tzdata (due to util-linux)
  libslang2 (due to util-linux)
  43 upgraded, 33 newly installed, 1458 to remove and 172 not upgraded.
  4 not fully installed or removed.
  Need to get 29.6 MB/41.1 MB of archives.
  After this operation, 2407 MB disk space will be freed.
  You are about to do something potentially harmful.
  To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
  ?] yes,do as I say!
  Abort.
  root@loc

Firstly, it's normal to accompany a bug report with some narrative. An isolated error message is not always useful to a developer. Adding "I was trying to install firefox and apt wanted to delete every other package' gives the developer some context. The above is akin to taking your car into a garage and pointed at the "Check Engine" light

Secondly, I presume you're sending the message to debian-user@l.d.o because you don't know which package to report the bug against. In my opinion, that depends on what, exactly, you're complaining about. Are you complaining that making some change to packages caused apt to try to remove essential packages (but if it was that, you'd have told us what changes you were trying to make, any why you were willing to remove them)?

Thirdly, (and I GUESS that this is why you're trying to report a bug), do YOU see a differenve between:

	Yes, do as I say!

and

	yes,do as I say!

?