Re: Frustration over Debian naming (was: Re: Meltdown fix for wheezy-backports)

On Friday, January 12, 2018 04:03:25 PM David Wright wrote:
> Another reason: it's a convention that organisations use
> because it works. It's less ambiguous to write jessie than 8
> especially in contexts where lots of numbers are being discussed,
> and it's more memorable to most people. People use names,
> computers like numbers.

I don't want to respond to most of what you wrote, although I generally
disagree.

Numbers were used by people long before computers came into being, and for
things that have some sequential aspect (like releases of computer software),
numbers are very convenient and easy to remember.

The Toy Story names have no inherent sequence to them, and fail to aid in my
(and I suspect several others) understanding.

Timezones using numbers (e.g., GMT -5) are much easier to understand than, for
example, EST, EDT, etc.