Re: what is the difference between a source package and a package (want alsa-lib in stretch)

On Sat, Jan 06, 2018 at 01:38:06PM -0800, Dan Hitt wrote:
> I'm trying to build some software, and one of the long list of items
> to install prior to configuring is 'alsa-lib'.
>
> I tried
>     'sudo apt-get install alsa-lib'
> but got the message
>     'E: Unable to locate package alsa-lib'
>
> So i looked around on the internet, and saw a page for an alsa-lib
> package on debian stretch:
> https://packages.debian.org/source/stretch/alsa-lib

That page lists all the binary packages that are produced by the
alsa-lib source package.  In Debian, maintainers maintain source
packages which each produce one or more binary packages.  Typically
things like libraries, headers, utilities, and documentation are
sometimes placed into separate binary packages so that you are not
forced to install components you may not need or want.

In your case, you most likely need to install the libasound2-dev
package.

Regards,

-Roberto

--