Re: “Meltdown” and “Spectre”: Every modern processor has unfixable security flaws

On 2018-01-04 at 13:06, francis picabia wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 1:22 PM, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/meltdown-and-spectre-every-modern-
>> processor-has-unfixable-security-fladdws/U
>>

>> TL;DR
>>
>>  Windows, Linux, and macOS have all received security patches that
>>  significantly alter how the operating systems handle virtual memory in
>>  order to protect against a hitherto undisclosed flaw.
>
> AKA
> CVE-2017-5754

That's the CVE for just one of the vulnerabilities: Meltdown.

Spectre has two separate CVEs: CVE-2017-5753 and CVE-2017-5715

> Debian does not have this released as a kernel update yet in any release at
> this time.
>
> https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2017-5754

https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2017-5753
https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2017-5715

Same.

If I recall what I read earlier correctly, kernel 4.15 contains the
Meltdown mitigation, but no system-wide fix for Spectre is expected to
be possible.

--
   The Wanderer