Re: File permission confusion [Debian 9.1 with MATE]

On 01/01/2018 12:32 PM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Richard Owlett
I used "linux tutorial chmod chattr" [w/o quotes] in both DuckDuckGo
and Google.

A general search topic would be "linux file permissions" and "chattr".

I did a DuckDuckGo search adding "tutorial" and got what I had been aiming at with my original searches. Thanks.

I can show you an example shell session on an ext4 filesystem.

I create a directory with a file and take away w-permissions:

  $ cd /home/thomas/test
  $ mkdir my_private_dir
  $ echo private_content >my_private_dir/my_private_file
  $ chmod a-w my_private_dir/my_private_file
  $ chmod a-w my_private_dir

Now normal users including myelf cannot change the file content and
cannot rename or remove the file

That is my goal. I think doing all but the last step, examining the result, doing the last step, examining that result, and examining the differences will be educational. I suspect there is an AHAAA moment in my future :}

I've not yet gone deeply enough in the material I've been given.
I believe I have a homework assignment. Retirement does create opportunities.

[snipping prior to futher study study]

I can of course not comment on what particular GUI tools do when they
promise the user to make something "Read-only".
(... or what systemd is willing to do for its clients ....)

Understood. You might add "How it will be interpreted by a Windows refugee :/
Thanks again.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas