Re: File permission confusion [Debian 9.1 with MATE]

On 01/01/2018 10:23 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Mon 01 Jan 2018 at 05:23:29 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
As user "richard" I created 3 files.
I later wanted to protect them totally from accidental change.
For each file, I went to Properties->Permissions and changed Access
for Owner, Group, and Others to "Read Only".

No, you set the access to "Read Permission". Each bit grants a
permission (on the file itself; its directory has to be considered
separately).

As user "richard" I was able to delete them with Caja.
*UNDESIRABLE*
As "root" I changed Owner and Group to "root" leaving Access for all
as "Read Only".

User "richard" could still *DELETE THEM*!
"Read Only" evidently does not mean what it implies.

If you read "Read Only" in Linux documentation you should consider
filing a bug against it.

I wouldn't YET claim a bug against Linux.
I've been seriously considering one against Caja.
Under Caja's Properties->Permissions tab:
  1. Owner is given choice of "Read-only" or "Read and Write"
  2. Group is given choice of "Read-only" or "Read and Write" or "None"
  3. Other is given choice of "Read-only" or "Read and Write" or "None"

WHY should one with "Read-only" access be able to delete it?
The file system of all partitions of this machine is ext4.

As for these "implications", you might be
assuming MSDOS semantics from your past experience.

Prior to too many decades of M$ windows I was command line oriented using what ever ran a PDP-8 from paper tape, RSX-11M, an Intel development system for the 8080, a Commodore Personal Electronic Transactor (aka a PET ;), and later a personal CPM-80 system. All were inherently single user systems. I then did things the M$ way for about 30 years ;{

Cheers,
David.