Re: Embarrassing security bug in systemd

On Friday 15 December 2017 07:11:04 Christian Seiler wrote:

> Am 2017-12-08 21:31, schrieb Gene Heskett:
> > On Friday 08 December 2017 14:26:41 Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> >> No objection there, and I agree that the release notes should
> >> probably have covered the policy changes. That ship has now sailed
> >> unfortunately.
> >
> > So now, no effort will ever be made to fix the man pages. Hell of a
> > way to run a train.
>
> If you want to update the release notes, please file a bug against the
> 'release-notes' pseudo-package, ideally (but not necessarily) with the
> proposed wording change. (But please also check if someone else has
> already done so, so you don't cause a duplicate.)
>
> It _is_ possible to update the release notes after the fact; see e.g.
> https://bugs.debian.org/865632 for something that was added after the
> release of Stretch. (And there are other examples, see
> https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/ddp/manuals/trunk/release-notes/en/
> for a full history of what has been changed in the release notes of
> Stretch so far, both before and after the release.)

That is probably enough if the user is smart enough to know how to check,
but if I pull a new iso of the install image today, will it be there for
reading before I click install when booted to that live iso with no
network access?

That would seem to require a respin of the iso with a version number
increment out in about the third place, and I don't see that being done.

I also don't see why a script hasn't been written to do exactly that, the
only problem then, and which may be the showstopper, is in the bandwidth
needed to update all the mirrors in a timely fashion. Perhaps some
bandwidth could be saved by a bittorrent/rsync like approach where only
the changes are transmitted/updated?

A text addendum, published whenever, makes more sense. But its existence
needs to be made widely known. That does not appear to be the case now,
leading to this candidate for the longest, most vociferous thread ever.

Thats my $0.02, which times 3 would buy a loaf of bread the year I was
born. :)

> Regards,
> Christian

Cheers, Gene Heskett