Re: is there any Windows virus that affect linux?

 Think for yourself a bit: technically it is perfectly possible. The
> Linux partition is accessible from windows and, given some sort of
> library for "understanding" the file system (probably ext4), files
> can be modified this way. Vice-versa, the windows partition will be
> accessible from Linux.

Yes, that is what I am thinking. I have often accesed (viewed) Windows
files from linux but not the other way around. I trust 10 times more on
Linux security than in Windows, thus having dual-boot in my mind,
diminishes my security ten-fold. Is there any safeguard in Windows (or
in Linux) to avoid this access to a different partition?

> So in both cases, and given enough access rights, software can modify
> the respective "other side". Only perhaps full-disk encryption (and
> using different keys on both sides, and being particularly suspicious
> when you get asked for the "wrong" key) might help you here. Except...
> there's the unencrypted boot partition (cf. "evil maid attack").

How does the boot partition play a role here? Is the software planted in
Windows (or Linux) and then executed at boot?

thanks very much.