Re: how to install stretch securely

Thank bw!

I haven't been able to find "manufacturers utility"
and I don't have stretch CD
The Internet is too powerful, and IMHO CD/DVD is becoming obsolete.

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:11 AM, bw <bwtnguy@yahoo.com> wrote:

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017, Long Wind wrote:

> i have wheezy and xp on one diskthe easy way to install stretch is goto wheezy and add image of stretch installer and modify grub and boot
> but i'm not sure whether wheezy has been compromisedhow to check whether wheezy has virus??
> my pc is old and doesn't boot from usb diskeven if it supports, and i make a boot disk in wheezydoes the boot disk have virus from wheezy?
> maybe i worry too muchbut my new stretch will be used to trade stocksand virus can cost dearly

Hi Long Wind,  I think if I suspected a virus on one of my disks I might
be tempted to zero fill the drive with the manufacturers utility.  Then
install stretch from CD if the machine won't boot from usb.  If the drive
is very old, or won't pass the manufacturers utility then I would replace

it.

I still use xp and 2k occasionally, but I have disabled all the network devices.
I don't think using the internet on those would be a good idea.

Good Luck!