Re: Embarrassing security bug in systemd

On Sunday 10 December 2017 17:45:36 Brian wrote:

> On Sun 10 Dec 2017 at 16:47:05 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > I believe you are expressing what is standard practice. If you
> > > want any documentation which is packaged separately from the
> > > package itself, you have to request it. "apt-cache show..." or
> > > "apt show..." are very useful.
> >
> > I expect so, Brian, but one must pipe that output to less as it
> > could be a 100 meg long list. Not impossible, but inconvenient.
>
>   brian@desktop:~$ time apt search "\-doc" > docfile
>   real    0m1.793s
>   user    0m1.480s
>   sys     0m0.168s
>
> 100 meg is an overestimate.

Is it? I was referring to the repo lists that would be parsed by show.
And displayed by synaptic as not installed but available packages. That
list can be 20,000 lines of text.
apt can't do a show --uninstalled on the stretch machine, and the man
page isn't offering much either, so to see whats available, I have to go
to its own keyboard and run synaptic-pkexec.

An apt list on that stretch is 50288 lines. Best inspected with less. :)

>   brian@desktop:~$ ls -l docfile
>   -rw-r--r-- 1 brian brian 355847 Dec 10 22:35 docfile
>
>   brian@desktop:~$ apt search "\-doc" | grep policy
>   policykit-1-doc/stable 0.105-18 all
>     client for the open policy framework for the cloud - doc
>   python-oslo.policy-doc/stable 1.14.0-2 all
>     RBAC policy enforcement library for OpenStack - doc
>   selinux-policy-doc/stable 2:2.20161023.1-9 all
>     Documentation for the SELinux reference policy
>
> Suggestions for something less inconvenient are welcome.

I have to agree, Brian.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)