Re: Embarrassing security bug in systemd

On Saturday 09 December 2017 12:01:59 David Wright wrote:

> On Sat 09 Dec 2017 at 11:29:58 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 09 December 2017 05:12:16 Joe wrote:

> > > Yes, I understand that, the point is that the first installation
> > > of policykit-1, which I did not explicitly request, did not ask me
> > > if I wanted non-root users to be able to reboot, or indeed about
> > > anything else it might control. Not that it matters on any of my
> > > machines, I'd just like to have been told that it was changing,
> > > and given the option to keep it as it was had I needed to.
> >
> > Thats another very sore point. Where are the man pages? Its
> > installed on 6, maybe 7 machines here, with zero docs. What the
> > hell? If debian or any other distro decides to shove this crap down
> > our throats, at least have the courtesy of making the docs
> > available. I just searched thru the repo's with synaptic and came up
> > null and empty on polkit-1.
> >
> > So where are the docs?
>
> $ dpkg -L policykit-1 | less
> will reveal what came with the package, and you'll find the
> manpages listed there, about 7 of them.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

I see that David, but when the name is not consistent, it comes across as
yet another attempt to keep it all a secret from those not in the know,
but are just harassed to tears by the effects of this stuff.

In case you hadn't noticed, polkit-1 /= policykit-1 when doing a search.
So lets at least have a consistent name, and a lot of the fire and name
calling will go away simply because we CAN find the docs. And if the
deocs are complete enough, maybe even fix our bitches.

As it exists now, the miss-matched names are seen as nothing but
obfuscation, purposely designed to prevent the users from over-riding
its ill-formed (to us who have been running an all linux house for the
last 19 years, and used Amiga's for a decade before that) rules choices.
Linux is supposedly all about freedom of choice, so give it back to us
instead of having to constantly feed the flame war just to get the info
we need, which is as you are well aware, difficult to do without making
some enemies.

Thank you David, for emitting that bit of information and helping the
rest of us.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)