Re: on-screen artifacts (red pixels) at high resolution with Intel HD 630 (Kaby Lake)

(please CC me as I am not subscribed to the list)

> A screenshot would be helpful. Does these artifacts appear every single time
> or sporadically?

The artifact appear at the same place every single time and seem to
follow (in videos) a single set of colors (dark brownish areas). You
can look at a screenshot[1] of the root window image as taken by
imagemagick and the photo[2] of the result on the screen.

[1] https://sml.zincube.net/~niol/tmp/screenshot.jpg
[2] https://sml.zincube.net/~niol/tmp/screenphoto.jpg

> I'd suggest to check RAM first of all with `memtest86+` and let it run
> overnight. Not sure if test will get into memory area used as video memory
> though.

The system is otherwise quite stable, and also brand new. I have two
RAM banks, and I tried with both alone with no improvement. I'll test
the memtest but chances both of the RAM sticks are not good seem
unlikely.

> There was a microcode bug discovered recently in Kabylake-Skylake CPUs. It
> causes memory corruption if I remember it correctly. It could be fixed for
> certain CPUs by updating firmware for your motherboard or installing
> "intel-microcode" package. It could be the cause for your issue.

I had updated the BIOS/UEFI for this fix, but installed
intel-microcode to be sure and this did not change anything (microcode
version is the same and artifacts still present).

Thanks for your advice,

Alex