Re: EDA software.

I have used several of the choices mentioned. I have settled on gEDA suite for a couple of times reasons. First, using the proper tool chain, it integrates with the ngspice and gnucap simulators. It also allows complete project creation from schematic thru simulation to PC board layout.

It is true that the learning curve is rather steep, but it is well worth your while to take the time to learn how to use these tools.

73s de WB5VQX

On Dec 6, 2017 12:31, "Joe" <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
On Wed, 06 Dec 2017 08:57:09 -0800
peter@easthope.ca wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTinker/Desktop#EDA is a list of
> packages for electronics design automation.  According to various
> documents, Electric, Fritzing and gEDA, at least, can help to create
> schematics.  I use librecad but have never used schematic
> construction software.  Which of the EDA packages will be a good
> starting point? Is any integrated with Librecad?

I suspect they all have a bit of a learning curve. The gEDA suite is
probably the most difficult, but I haven't tried any alternative, there
were none when I began and I don't really feel like changing horses
now. I suspect it is also the most powerful.

What people like about other systems is the 'integration'. The gEDA
suite is clearly two disparate major tools, with completely different
file structures, but as both are text based, it's not hard to plumb one
into the other. There are a number of command-line utilities, and
scripts and spreadsheets to generate families of parts.

I find I need to make most of the footprints I use, and a lesser number
of schematic symbols: there are libraries, and many user contributions
around the Net, but there are so many hundreds of thousands of parts
that a lot have to be made from scratch, which isn't difficult.

I'm not sure what kind of connection with LibreCAD there could be: DXF
is a much more complex file structure, and I think the most that could
be done would be to transfer PCB outlines and mounting points. There is
some provision for component height in PCB, but no easy way to
manipulate values, and I don't believe LibreCAD can do anything in the
way of 3D anyway.

--
Joe