Re: BIOS Can Not Find Disk

Dan Norton composed on 2017-12-04 07:32 (UTC-0500):

 Note your posts are still coming from the future. Today ATM in zone -0500 it is
still the 3rd of December.

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> I'm pretty sure that was not OP's intent, i.e., none of Grub at all in MBR.

> Yes, no grub in mbr - unless installer insists.
> FWIW, this done just now:

> # gdisk /dev/sda
> GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.10

> Partition table scan:
>    MBR: protective
>    BSD: not present
>    APM: not present
>    GPT: present

> Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

> Command (? for help): b
> Enter backup filename to save: mbrforgpt
> The operation has completed successfully.

> Command (? for help): q

 I don't see anything above to indicate a boot flag has been set anywhere. That
HP might have firmware that insists one exists.
http://www.lightofdawn.org/wiki/wiki.cgi/BIOSBootGPT

> # ls -l mbr*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17920 Dec  4 05:47 mbrforgpt

> # mc -v mbrforgpt
> The above shows 0x55AA at +0x1FE (Boot signature [1]).

 That proves a partition table exists, not whether there is requisite code in
the 446 bytes preceding the table.

> Also, the search for 'ERROR:' is not found in the entire 17920 bytes of
> file mbrforgpt.

 'ERROR: ' you are encountering is coming from the BIOS/firmware, not anything
on the disk.

> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

> Apparently, all is in readiness. It's simply that this PC is not loading
> the mbr or anything else from sda. Any other opinions?

 <all, or you wouldn't be getting the ERROR: message. :-p

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/