Re: BIOS Can Not Find Disk

On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 18:09:56 -0500
Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Michael Lange composed on 2017-12-02 22:33 (UTC+0100):
>
> > On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 23:07:15 -0500 Dan Norton wrote:
>
> > (...)
>
> >> GRUB2 to sda1.
>
> > I did not read this thread in detail, so maybe this has already been
> > discussed, but I have just now been thinking, shouldn't grub go
> > to /dev/sda instead of /dev/sda1 ?
>
>  OP made it clear his is a multiboot context. Grub on sda works for a
> first installation, but guess what happens with the next and subsequent
> installations if you allow same with them?

Sure, I know that. A second linux install might override the "primary"
install's grub if you don't watch what you are doing, usually no big
issue though, it should still be possible to boot the primary OS and
reinstall this one's grub if desired. Windows is a pain in the neck of
course, still booting a Live system and reinstalling grub from a chroot
environment seems comparatively easy to me compared to the OP's
troubles ;)

But anyway, I just wanted to mention what struck me when I glanced
through the thread, I have seen similar discussions before where the sda
vs. sda1 issue was actually the problem and somehow was overlooked while
discussing more elaborate technical details.

Regards

Michael

There are always alternatives.
		-- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3