Re: Removing old python packages installed with pip

On Friday, December 1, 2017 3:24:47 PM -03 Urs Thuermann wrote:
> On a machine running Debian stretch I have installed python3, which is
> currently python3.5.  Nothing of python3.4 is present.
>
> But in /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/ a number of packages is
> still installed.  Probably, these have been installed using pip3 when
> python3.4 was current.
>
> Now, it seems pip3 isn't able to remove packages from that old
> directory.  Is it safe to just rm -r /usr/local/lib/python3.4?
>
> urs
Hi Urs,

If those packages were installed together with the Debian system then
deinstall with aptitude or apt remove.
If you mix two different package installers the consequence is that one does
not know about the other and they can interfere with each other.
On Debian always install packages the "Debian way".
Don't make a Frankendebian:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Cheers
Eike